According to HealthStatus.com, moving is the third most stressful event in people’s lives after divorce and death. Getting organized and properly planning your move in advance will help reduce your stress level and ensure your move will go smoothly.
The first step in a successful move is getting organized:
- Buy proper supplies like sturdy boxes, bubble wrap, peanuts, packing tape with a dispenser, and furniture blankets. If using a moving company confirm what they will provide versus what you have to purchase separately.
- Schedule time for going through your stuff and start off by packing less frequently used items or out of season items first. The earlier you start packing the less overwhelmed you will feel as the move date gets closer.
- Categorize the items you need to move, for instance list out all the large furniture items you have to get an idea of how large of a truck you will need.
As you get organized you need to make a plan for packing thoughtfully:
- Categorize the items that you will be packing, it is important to pack your delicate and odd shape items properly to ensure nothing breaks and no damage occurs in the move.
- While you pack your items in boxes it is good to make sure that everything in the box fits properly and the box doesn’t become too heavy.
- After you pack each box you should label its contents and write down the room in which it should go to in the new house.
One in ten people fall victim to a fraudulent moving company so do your research when planning your transportation:
- If you are looking to hire a moving company ensure you do your research. Never take estimates over the phone or online, but have someone come out to your house to ensure they take a proper inventory of what you need to move to allow for an exact estimate and avoid overcharges.
- Confirm that the moving company has insurance – don’t just take their word for it. Investigate the company checking out their reviews and confirm they are a member of the Better Business Bureau.
- If you are planning to rent your own moving truck you will need to do some more of the heavy lifting. Not only will you have to plan for moving all the physical items, but you will need to consider the following:
- How large of a truck will you need depending on the amount of stuff you have?
- Do you know how to drive the type of truck you are renting?
- What type of insurance does the rental company offer? Will the insurance coverage cover your stuff or just the truck itself?
Protecting your more expensive items such as furniture and electronics is key during the move:
- Make a list of all the bulk items you have to move and consider how the pieces will handle the move and if you need to ensure anything very valuable.
- While taking inventory determine if anything can come apart to make it easier to transport, for instance most bed frames come apart and would take up less space if you do that.
- If using a moving company make sure they have provided furniture blankets to prevent scratches and take close notice of the condition the pieces are in prior to the move.
By following the above tips and a little planning and research you can make your next move a bit less stressful. If you have any questions and are in the process of moving feel free to give Affordable Spacemakers a call today.